Latest Instagram Photos



Subscribe with Bloglines

Terri Farley
HomeBooksThe AuthorConnectEducationWild Horses


       Weblog

Thursday, September 14, 2006

MY HEART BREAKS FOR BOO

Dear Readers,
Do you get emotional about books? I do.
I've fallen so in love with characters, I wished I could see through their eyes and feel with their fingers. I've built up white-hot hatred for selfish villains or gotten so scared (Blue Duck in LONESOME DOVE terrifies me) that I almost shout warnings.
If you've ever felt like this, consider sharing your feelings in book reviews.
Don't know how to write one? Just use facts to back up your opinions.
"This book is stupid" doesn't tell us much. If you write, "The violence against the main character doesn't fit with the plot" or "`I do declare,' is dialogue that never was spoken by a teenager in this century," people will see your point.
By writing reviews, you get to communicate with other readers, too, sort of like you would on a forum.
For instance: It's no secret one of my favorite books is TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD (the headline for this entry might have given you that hint). So, when a friend sent me a review that said "I don't see what all the hype is about" I jumped in with a zillion other people to set the poor creature straight. Afterward, I felt good, like I'd defended my best friend!
Would it surprise you to know authors often have love/hate relationships with online book reviews?
Let me show you why.
* One of my books is reviewed as "confusing and boring" and "a million star book."
* A reviewer said a real horse lover would know horses have no knees & another said cows don't roll their eyes. Ummmm, yes they do. And yes they do, too!
* Weirder are people who maybe haven't read the books they review : "Tempest and Shy Boots don't act like wild stallions!" I guess that's because they're not.
But most reviews of my work make my heart sing, so I can't resist reading them!
How do you review books online?
Pick a website (Bn.com, Amazon.com, the publisher's website, Spaghetti Book Club, etc. & I'd love to hear about your other favorites). You may be asked to use a Kids' Review Form if you're under 13. Then,
1) just pick out the book you want to review
2) scan the page for something like this:
Write Your Own Review

Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers.


3) then, click and go.
Oh, and remember to read the review rules! On Bn.com and Amazon.com,
5 stars = the best, not the worst!
Have fun!
Terri


Permalink to this blog post

Posted by Terri Farley @ 1:51 PM

Bookmark and Share




Comments: Post a Comment