Latest Instagram Photos



Subscribe with Bloglines

Terri Farley
HomeBooksThe AuthorConnectEducationWild Horses


       Weblog

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Mare to Remember

Dear Readers, Queen Zenya Dann is a black mustang owned by Roxanne Talltree. Now part of the real Phantom's herd, the mare will soon be free again and Roxanne was nice enough to share the mare's story with us. The information in brackets was added by me.
Let me know if this mare's story reminds you of one of my imaginary horses!


"I am the owner of Phantom's new wife, the beautiful black mare Queen Zenya Dann. When the Dann sisters [two Western Shoshone ranchers controversial because of their strong stands on Native American rights] were told that they had to move 300 horses off of "BLM land" about 80 of those horses were spoken for by Slick Gardner [a man repeatedly charged with animal cruelty and horse slaughter]. He holed them up at a place called Fish Creek and was going to leave them there for a short period of time before he transported them to his so-called "sanctuary" in California because most of them were either pregnant or had just foaled.
"He ended up abandoning them there with no food or water for weeks. LRTC wild horse mentors [a Nevada group helpful to many wild horses and their adopters] and some great volunteers, found out about the Fish Creek mares and went up and got them.
"By the time they got there, many were dead. The surviving mares were nursing orphaned babies sometimes more than one! They'd come together as best they could, as incredible mares, taking care of one another in an effort to save their herd.
"Many went to Shirley Allen in Dayton [Shirley is known as the "horse angel" who first took in the Phantom, Shy and Rain Cloud] and some went to LRTC wild horse mentors.
"I was at that time, living there and running both the ranch and adoption program. The Dann mares were exceptional. Sweet, smart, and for the most part, easy to gentle. I adopted one of the mares for my boyfriend, but he didn't really have the patience for her and so he titled her over to me. I had just lost my first, very beloved mustang HoonaH, so it was good for me to bond with her.
"I worked with her quite well but noticed that she was very reluctant to really bond with humans, much preferring the company of other mustangs, especially her own herd sisters. When we moved to Mount Shasta, Zenya loved it there and was an excellent nurse and companion to other mustangs I rescued, but she still didn't care for contact with humans.
"I sensed this about her and feared that if I pushed her, she would come to a bad end. Some mustangs get captured and do just fine in the world of humans, and some don't. I truly believed that she is one who would be better left, for the most part, alone.
"I halter broke her, and could groom and love on her, but really, if it was left up to her, she'd rather not. When I rescued a gorgeous mustang who was neglected and starved, I told Zenya that I needed her help to get him better. I asked her to be kind to him and help him.
"The minute I brought him in and she met him they formed a bond and friendship that most humans would envy. I credit her, not me, with saving this horse's heart and soul.
"When I moved to Arizona from California, I couldn't in all fairness, ask Zenya to make that journey. She hates trailers and confinement...
"When I logged onto the Wild Horse Sanctuary's website after hearing a lot about them over the years, I found out they had Dann mares. I called to ask if they would consider taking Zenya. When they agreed to, I was ecstatic. What better place or life for her than there?
"Zenya is probably between 10 and 12 now. She's been very healthy, beautiful and strong, and looks at children with that pretty soft eye some horses get when they see them. If she likes you, she will let you pet her and gets real soft at the touch. I can't tell you how special this horse is to me, and although it breaks my heart to have to be so far away from her, I love her still and want the best for her."

Readers, after reading this story of unselfishness, you probably won't be surprised to learn that Roxanne works with victims of domestic violence. Her dream is to partner abused women with wild horses!
If you'd like to see a photo of Queen Zenya Dann (and other members of the Phantom's family) check out
: http://www.paulharmonphotography.com/page/page/4498038.htm
Have a wonderful weekend,
Terri


Permalink to this blog post

Posted by Terri Farley @ 8:39 AM

Bookmark and Share




Comments: Post a Comment