Latest Instagram Photos



Subscribe with Bloglines

Terri Farley
HomeBooksThe AuthorConnectEducationWild Horses


       Weblog

Monday, March 23, 2009

Range Angel to the Rescue


Dear Readers,
I just had this letter & photos from my friend Palomino at the Wild Horse Sanctuary in Shingletown, where the real Phantom Stallion lives.
This filly had an unlucky start, but there's a wild horse angel at her side, now.

HI Terri,

PLEASE PRAY HARD FOR THIS LITTLE GIRL, CUZ SHE NEEDS ALL THE HELP SHE CAN GET.

Tara and I were riding home yesterday after working a couple horses when up high on the hill, all alone, was this little filly, sitting beside her dead mommy.

Mommy had apparently been dead for 2-3 days, and that seems to be the age of "Chilly Pepper".

She was out there for probably 2 nights, judging by the condition of her mom. I think the fact that little miss Chilly has such long legs and is so big, (she comes up to my hip already) may have been a hard birth for her mama. She was apparently unable to pass her afterbirth.

Little "Chilly" had apparently been cuddling up to her dead mama as she smelled (still kind of does) atrocious and had been snowed upon for possibly two nights. Her gums were white and colder than anything I have ever felt in a live animal. Spent last night up with her the whole night (I know you guys have all done that one) warming her up and getting her hydrated and helping her get her functions going. She actually "peed" today YEAH YEAH. Funny how the little things can mean absolutely "everything".

She is laying in my living room on the heating pads right now, but has been outside several times today and walked around a little bit.

She still can't stand up by herself, but is a little perkier and I have her drinking out of a bucket. I called the vet and she traded me some antibiotics for some cheesecake. (yeah for that also) so hopefully she will be okay and make it. It's so hard when they are born into a freezing unfriendly world and mama is also gone. I can only imagine what she felt like all cold and alone.

Hopefully this will be a true success story and little miss "Chili Pepper" will live a long, healthy and happy life.

I know you guys are familiar with these incidents, but they still pull your heart strings so much. Hope all is well with you.

Love much

Palomino


Permalink to this blog post

Posted by Terri Farley @ 10:55 PM

Bookmark and Share




Comments: aww poor lil girly. I really hope she makes it through :) The pictures wouldn't show up on my computer but i bet she's gorgeous just like every other horse out there :P Love the name also!
xo
  I will pray for this little horse every day! Mrs. Terri I cannot see the pics... is something wrong with the format? Thanks for posting this
~RACH
  HI --
Hope the photos are showing up for you now. There will be more, too.
T.
  Awww. The poor little baby! She looks soooo adorable! :( I'll be praying for her!
  can see the pix fine! I LOVED that story! Palomino sounds like someone I would really like! hope the filly makes it through!!
  I'm so glad they found little chilly pepper before she died! I really hope she makes it. she looks so sweet.
  Post a Comment