Latest Instagram Photos



Subscribe with Bloglines

Terri Farley
HomeBooksThe AuthorConnectEducationWild Horses


       Weblog

Monday, October 21, 2013

TEACHERS SHOW MORE BRAVERY THAN LEGISLATORS




I’ve never met Michael Landsberry, the math teacher who died protecting Sparks Middle School  students today,  but I know him.

He was a former Marine and National Guardsman, but he acted like a teacher.  

I taught in the Washoe County School District, a few miles from the school where Michael Landsberry died, but proximity isn't the point. I felt this same rage, sadness and empathy when teachers died in Sandy Hook.
Don’t tell me Landsberry was in education for extra days off. A teacher who faces the muzzle of a gun, arms spread to protect the children at his back, is not thinking of summer vacation.         

Don’t tell me we should arm teachers. Teachers protect kids ; we don’t shoot them. Witnesses say Landsberry died as he tried to coax the armed student to talk, not shoot.   
Don’t tell me this is about mental illness, not guns.  I don’t know what drove that child to bring a gun to school.

I do know an armed teacher or any other “good guy with a gun” would hesitate before shooting down a middle schooler.

Teachers listen, connect and yes, protect students.   
How many more children have to die before legislators do the same?

Labels: , , , , ,



Permalink to this blog post

Posted by Terri Farley @ 4:49 PM

Bookmark and Share




Comments: Post a Comment