Latest Instagram Photos



Subscribe with Bloglines

Terri Farley
HomeBooksThe AuthorConnectEducationWild Horses


       Weblog

Saturday, November 19, 2005

More from Last Chance Ranch

From Andi:
Just 3 weeks after we lost our last orphan mustang,in comes little Sweetheart. We are bound and determined not to let her die too! And the amazing part is she is just as determined to live! I have never seen an orphan foal as "down" as she is and still keeping fighting.
Generally, scours makes them so sick and depressed they lose the desire to eat, and can die if not tended to.Not Sweetheart! She's had one hoof in the grave and struggles with the other 3 to bring herself back out again!
She has never stopped eating or drinking, allows us to blanket her, clean her up, stuff things in her mouth, check her temperature daily and poke her with needles.And after we are all done messing with her, I squat down in front of her and we talk. I tell her there are tons of people out there all praying for her to live and she can't let them down.
She drops her head to my face and nuzzles me, as if she's saying it's OK, she won't let them, or us, down. She'll bump me with her nose, wanting me to scratch all those itchy spots. I oblige. I hug her and she leans into me, enjoying the contact of this strange, 2 legged mother of hers.
For 4 days now,the weather has cooperated with sunshine to allow her short spells out in the sun and fresh air and she relishes every minute. She is just so happy to be alive and we are happy she's alive too!


Andi of Last Chance Ranch has an article called "Simply Amazing" about Sweetheart in November's Equestrian Trails Incorporated.


Permalink to this blog post

Posted by Terri Farley @ 5:05 PM

Bookmark and Share




Comments: Post a Comment