Latest Instagram Photos



Subscribe with Bloglines

Terri Farley
HomeBooksThe AuthorConnectEducationWild Horses


       Weblog

Monday, August 20, 2007

WRITING BLIND (writing tip #2)

Dear Reader/Writers,
Following up on my promise to suggest end-of-summer writing tips, here's one that -- like lots of fun things (ex: chocolate chip cookies!)-- was born of a mistake.
I took a brand new laptop along to an International Baccalaureate teachers' workshop in New Mexico. After one exciting session, I ran, brain ablaze, up to my dorm room to write. I was so impatient to begin, I gave up searching for the screen brightness adjuster and started typing.
When I arrived back home and printed out the word flurry, I found that I'd written six single-spaced pages in thirty minutes.
Was it great? The best literary creation of my life? Of course not, and there were plenty of typos. Still, blindfolding my internal censor produced the seed of a story.
This technique is perfect when you can "see" a scene in your mind, but it refuses to emerge from your fingertips.
Directions: turn off you computer monitor and write for thirty uninterrupted minutes. Set a timer & try to keep your fingers on the right keys.
Have fun,
Terri


Permalink to this blog post

Posted by Terri Farley @ 9:12 AM

Bookmark and Share




Comments: Post a Comment