Latest Instagram Photos



Subscribe with Bloglines

Terri Farley
HomeBooksThe AuthorConnectEducationWild Horses


       Weblog

Saturday, September 04, 2010

Twin Peaks RESCUE!

DEAR READERS,
Palomino Armstrong, "mom" to Chilly Pepper the Miracle Mustang, puts her hands where her heart is. Today she's fighting Death for a foal from the Twin Peaks round-up.
Palomino & husband Matt were supposed to leave on their delayed honeymoon (the first one was spent saving Chilly Pepper)today. Instead, HONEY BANDIT is stealing their hearts. And their honeymoon fund. I will post Palomino's journal today & tomorrow. Terri
THURSDAY
3 a.m.
Am I crazy getting up this early to drive to a roundup that I know is going to break my heart? At least my friend Jennifer is coming along.
4 a.m. Driving fast as I dare toward TWIN PEAKS, not wanting to get a ticket or take a chance on missing the round up. We fly down the highway, through the darkness, towards the unknown.
6 am We missed it. In the dark, we drove right past BLM's Litchfield facility, but a BLM staffer says we might be able to catch the "crew".
6:30 We see some of the most beautiful country in California. It's harsh beauty, stretching as far as we can and then some. A perfect place for wild horses -- but all that's left are the lonely echo of their footprints.
7:30 am Finally, we turn around and head back to Litchfield -- still feeling there's something we have to do here.
(time gets crazy after this)
I was out of the car for about 2 seconds when I heard something about a "foal". Office staff confirms there's a 1-2 month old whose mommy had dried up.
I had "gut feeling" that tells me every minute counts. Without going out to see the foal, I offered the help of Chilly Pepper - Miracle Mustang, Equine Rescue & More. That would be me.
Negotiations began.
"It seems like having someone who would put in the time to help that baby live is the most logical, solution to the problem," I coaxed BLM.
Quietly, Jennifer asked, "Don't you want to see it first?"
I just smiled and said, "Nope", because when you rescue you don't "choose"; you take which ever one needs you.
But BLM wanted me to take a look before I committed. Here's HONEYBANDIT --

--covered in bites from his head,down to his tail, and everywhere else, and emaciated. His eyes held the look of a baby who had known the worst kinds of evil and given up.
BLM staff said Honey Bandit had been rounded up 2 weeks ago. They figured his mother's milk had dried up -- but they couldn't find her to show me.
When he tried to nurse from other mares,their babies objected with bites and kicks.
Now, he was starving. And he was mine.
I called my husband and he was on his way. I helped Honey Bandit to the trailer. At first, it looked like things might be okay.

Labels: , ,



Permalink to this blog post

Posted by Terri Farley @ 10:03 AM

Bookmark and Share




Comments: Wow Mrs. Farley,

That is such an amazing and heartfelt story. You put to words experiences that only mustang lovers up here, further in the states without a wild horse to be found,can dream of.

How I envy Honey's protectors and the work that they do. Now I shouldn't say envy, I should say I'm inspired to do the same some day.

Rach
  Your're a saint. You just amaze me every time you save a little heart.

That is why I'm moving to Nevada when I'm old enough. I agree with Rach, that down here where there is not a single wild horse to be found, we are inspired by what you do.

If I could just adopt all of them I would .

-Young At Heart
  I'm no saint, but my friend Palomino comes pretty close!
  Post a Comment