Latest Instagram Photos



Subscribe with Bloglines

Terri Farley
HomeBooksThe AuthorConnectEducationWild Horses


       Weblog

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Before Christmas Dawn, with HoneyBandit

Dear Readers,
Here's a fun update from Palomino! Enjoy.
And thanks to ALLLLLL of you for Christmas greetings from all over the world.
You warm my heart!
Hugs,
Terri

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thump, thump, thump,...... I hear a noise, and roll over. Honey Bandit is standing facing Patches in the middle of the stall. I look at the clock. You guessed it, it's about 3:00 a.m.

I have been quite worried about the fact the guys haven't been able to spend much time outside in the fresh air during the last 2 - 3 weeks, due to the weather and the whole cat thing. Honey Bandit, of course, has been quite content to stay in his "stall" and munch away. They have gotten outside occasionally, but not as often as is ideal. So of course when Honey Bandit does decide to get energy "to play", it is in the middle of the night. I guess I should be happy he is so predictable. Ha ha.

As I rolled over to see what was going on, wishing desperately that I was asleep, I saw Honey Bandit lift his front leg as high as he can, and then slam it down, trying to hit Patches. Patches had backed into Honey Bandit, taking a defensive stance where HB couldn't make contact with his hoof.

As I lay there watching, Honey kept up the thumping. Suddenly he looked at me. All at once he was this sweet angel Honey Bandit. Standing watch over his little brother. He looked me in the eye and nickered softly. Telling me what a good brother he was and how he was taking care of Patches.

I rolled over, with the silly idea that I might go to sleep, when I heard it again. I looked at HB again, and as soon as I rolled back over he stopped. The angel was back. I again rolled over to to go sleep, and then it happened. Just as Patches tried to sneak one in, baring his little teeth and going for HB's chest, I heard the hit. Thud, HB's hoof landed right on Patches' nose. He stopped for a minute, shook his head, licked his lips a couple times and changed tactics. He whirled around, extending into a full out extension of his little body. Standing at his full height, (which isn't very much), he charged HB. HB reared slightly, and the fight was on. The stall area is barely adequate for sleeping, and add two little horses bouncing around, you achieve chaos. They were play fighting, dancing around the stall, pushing and shoving and rearing and bouncing off the walls. As much as I want Honey Bandit to feel like playing, I wouldn't totally mind if they did it in daylight. :)

After awhile they settled down. Several hours later, I opened the door and all three horses went outside. HB was lagging behind as usual, again completely happy to saunter out,as opposed to Patches and DaBubbles who went tearing out at warp speed. Patches, who is the "king" of those three horses, started pushing DaBubbles around. Now DaBubbles is about a 100 pounds lighter than Patches, but has the heart of a fighter. This is what helped him fight to stay alive after being mauled by the mountain lion. Well, our little tough guy, let fly with both feet, planting his tiny little hooves firmly on Patches' chest. Then he took off at a full little gallop, running sideways, bucking and kicking all the way. He is the sweetest little guy, but the only horse I have ever seen that could run sideways full speed. I have a feeling that DaBubbles may end up being the boss quite soon.

So although HB continues to be "Mr. Mellow", he did get his little "buck on" for a couple minutes last night. That is a good sign, although his timing was questionable.

Since the fateful day that Honey Bandit joined "our world", he has more than doubled his weight. He has grown at least a foot, and is getting more beautiful each day. He sends his love and HB kisses to all, and would like to thank everyone for continuing to help him grow up to be a big, strong, healthy representative for the wild mustangs.

Merry Christmas to All! Have a Blessed Holiday, from Chilly Pepper Miracle Mustang and the Gang!

Labels:



Permalink to this blog post

Posted by Terri Farley @ 2:52 PM

Bookmark and Share




Comments: Post a Comment