Latest Instagram Photos



Subscribe with Bloglines

Terri Farley
HomeBooksThe AuthorConnectEducationWild Horses


       Weblog

Sunday, July 17, 2011

To be a kelpie



photos by Kate McLachlan





Dear Readers,
Can you be homesick for an island you've only visited once? I am.
Shackleford Banks is a place of wild horses, wild bird, huge shells, swamps, swales and no human residents.
It was a long visit; for 10 days I worked with Earthwatch. Though my purpose was academic, every day I wondered how it would feel to BE one of those wild horses or a kelpie, a Celtic horse shape-shifter.
With that in mind, I'd like to share photos from one of my teammates, Kate McLachlan.




Enjoy!
Terri

Labels: , ,



Permalink to this blog post

Posted by Terri Farley @ 7:58 AM

Bookmark and Share




Comments: I know that feeling Mrs. Farley. Sometimes i visit a place and when I leave I miss it so much it hurts inside. Here's a poem I wrote that sorta focuses on that home feeling. Its published on GHC.

"Native"
My boots are worn from roads of old
Skin is tanned and leather tight
I’ve played my part and I’ve rolled the dice
lost a few and gained a blessing
cause I’m finally headed home

~Rach
I’m gonna wrap my arms around
my mare’s neck and whisper that I love her
we’re going to ride and run under summer sun
so don’t you try to stop us
When I finally make it home
I’ll walk into the backyard
where I rode up on daddy’s shoulders
and helped mama gather windblown lines
We’ll share the laughs and sorrows once again
When I finally make it home
You see family isn’t just blood or kin
its those who love and forgive the sins
add a touch of patience and a lot of prayer
and I’ve finally made it home.
  Post a Comment